Garage’s 90-year support to Redcar RNLI recognised

A garage has had its 90-year support for the Redcar lifeboat station recognised with a certificate of thanks from the charity’s chairman.

EL Denney & Son has been based close to the town’s lifeboat station on the esplanade, Redcar, since 1928. The garage’s founder, Laurie Denney was a strong supporter of the RNLI. When his son Ian took over running garage that support continued.

Dave Cocks, Lifeboat Operations Manager at Redcar RNLI explained: ‘Being so close to the lifeboat station, Denney’s garage has always been on hand to provide fuel for the lifeboats and launching vehicles. In fact their support goes back even to the time when the lifeboats were rowed by hand and horses were used to launch them.

‘It doesn’t matter what time of the day or night, if we ring Ian to ask for fuel, he’s always willing to open up the pumps to make sure the lifeboats are ready for the next launch.’

Dave Cocks added: ‘And the support has always gone further than that. Because the lifeboat station is normally unmanned, the garage often takes in parcels when they can’t be delivered directly to us. If we’ve need to borrow tools, or just tap into the expertise of the mechanics at the garage, that’s never been a problem either.

‘This goes to show that supporting the RNLI isn’t always just about making donations. We rely heavily on the goodwill of the local community in so many other ways as well. The recognition is well deserved.’

Ian Denney was presented with an engraved plaque bearing the charity’s crest and the certificate of thanks, signed by the RNLI’s chief executive, Paul Boissier, by Dave Cocks and representatives of the lifeboat crew and management team. Ian was joined by his wife Pat and son Chris, together with staff from the garage for the presentation.